PLACEMENT RULES – STUDENTS
Revised on September, 2018
The Office of Career Counselling and Placements (OCCaP) will be the nodal agency for coordinating all placement related activities. For the purpose of this document, OCCaP or Placement Committee is defined as the committee of Professors in charge of OCCaP. The Indian Institute of Science is referred to as Tata Institute or IISc.
IMPORTANT: OCCaP Committee reserves the right to change any or all of these rules and is the sole authority in taking decisions pertaining to placements from the Institute. Any grievances must be brought up to the notice of OCCaP Committee for resolution.
All students who expect to graduate from the Institute by the end (July 31) of the academic year and are actively seeking employment may register for campus placements. Registrations for placements will be open during the month of August/ January on the online portal maintained by OCCaP. Ph.D. and M.Tech (Research) students can register by submitting a certificate in the prescribed format available on the website, indicating that they will submit their thesis before 31st July of the current Academic Year.
Campus placement is a facility provided for all students of IISc. Registration is not compulsory and students not interested in industry jobs are requested not to register for jobs placements. However, registration is compulsory for students interested in placements through OCCaP. Students having 4 or more course backlogs are advised not to register for placements. Such students are advised to improve their performance and register after the semester examinations in December.
Students enrolled in the Master’s program who have acquired their degrees and were not placed in the earlier years will not be allowed to re-register.
Students who have lost their job for reasons beyond their control will be allowed to re-register on a case by case basis. This decision is solely the prerogative of OCCaP. Only full time students of the Institute are eligible to register for placements.
Individuals employed as Research Assistants, Project Assistants, Part-time students are not eligible to register.
All placement activities on campus will take place only via the OCCaP. Students are strongly encouraged to register with the OCCaP website and provide information about the companies that they wish to be considered for placement. The following rules will be enforced during the present placement season.
- Each registered student will be given a unique account enabling access to the placement website. Students will be able to access placement notices, company and other placement related announcements via this website.
- Students are advised to read the announcements made, go through the company website and apply only if they are genuinely interested.
- The CV will be auto-generated based on the information filled in the OCCaP portal and follow guidelines. Some standard data in the profile at the portal will be filled in from official records.
- Misrepresentation or falsification of data in the CV will result in the student being debarred from taking further part in the placement process.
- It will be the sole responsibility of the student to keep track of various deadlines and adhere to the same while applying for companies. DEADLINES WILL NOT BE EXTENDED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- Students are not permitted to deregister from a company’s recruitment process. Abstention from the recruitment process, after applying for a job will invite suspension of the student OCCaP account.
- Where possible, notices of the Pre-Placement Talk (PPT) will be shared with the students in advance. Students should occupy the venue 15 minutes before the scheduled start of the PPT.
- While OCCaP will endeavor to send mobile and/or email alerts, the committee will not take responsibility of non-receipt of the same. It is incumbent upon the student to regularly check the placement website for updates.
- PPT’s and written tests for jobs in Slot A and B will be held sometime in the month of September and October/November respectively prior to the start of placement interviews.
- Students interested in a particular company, must attend its PPT without fail. If they fail to do so, they will be disallowed from taking any further part in the recruitment process of that company and will be marked absent (see below).
- Students should seek all clarifications such as break-up of the salary offered, job profile, place of work, bond details with the company representatives during the PPT.
- If a student is unable to attend the placement process after applying for a company because of an emergency, she/he must inform OCCaP via email at least 24 hours in advance.
- Students cannot voluntarily decide to drop out of the placement process of a particular company, after registering and sitting through its PPT. The only exception to this rule is a job profile mismatch, the decision for which rests solely with OCCaP .
- Students and companies will be required to disclose to OCCaP any pre-placement offers that have been made.
- Students who have been made pre-placement offers will be required to inform OCCaP of their decision by September 5th or the deadline set by the company, whichever is earlier.
- Students who have accepted pre-placement offers (PPO) can participate in the placement process as per the PPO policy
- As per OCCaP PPO policy, a student with PPO is eligible to attend further interview process on campus as mentioned below
– Maximum 5 companies– Minimum 4 companies CTC should be more than 20% of fixed CTC OR 20% of overall CTC– Maximum 1 company can be opted with no CTC restriction(CTC can be more/less/ equivalent to the PPO)
- Any student found violating pre-placement rules will be debarred from the placement process. If a student fails to notify of a pre-placement offer and gets an offer via the institute’s placement process, then the violation will be notified to both the companies that have made offers.
INDUSTRY INTERACTION DAY(S) AND PRE-PLACEMENT TALKS (PPT)
OCCaP plans to organize an annual event called IISconnect where it will invite potential employers from industry and academic institutions. Graduating research students will have an opportunity to present their work in several parallel poster presentation sessions. Visits to key facilities/labs will also be facilitated so that visitors from industries can explore other avenues of collaborations with research groups at IISc.
- For the Masters students all rules, mentioned above for PPT will be applicable for this event.
- Students will not be allowed to carry electronic or hard copies of their resume when they meet potential employers during this event. Instead they should provide a link to their resume uploaded at the OCCaP website.
- Registration with OCCaP is required to participate in any form, during this event.
- CS and related branches will henceforth be designated as CS. A company that does not exclusively hire students from the CS branch will be termed as non-CS company.
- All recruiters will be provided a date to visit IISc for placement tests and interviews. Online tests for most companies will be held at least a day before the personal interview. *Only in some special cases will tests and interviews be allowed on the same date(Conditional)
- More than one company may be invited on the same date.
- The internship campus season for 2019-20 will be commence sometime in February/March 2019.
- Companies will be designated as Slot A based on certain criteria (past recruitment record, offered CTC, reputation etc. decided by OCCaP. The remaining companies will be grouped into Slot B.
- Details of scheduling of recruiters in different slots are discussed in the page on Placement Process.
- Wait listing Policy: Students receiving multiple offers will be allowed to choose one of the company from which they have received an offer. All such students will then be out of the placement process. Vacant slots will be filled by wait-listed students adopting the same procedure as above.
- It is the responsibility of the student to regularly check announcements/ notices/ updated information/ shortlisted names etc. on their registered email id. Students are expected to be in time as per the announcements.
- Please note that companies will be grouped into the above slots based on criterion such as salary package offered, departments a company wishes to hire from, reputation, nature of the job, past hiring record etc.The decision of OCCaP will be final in this regard.
- A student who applies for any job/ internship position is bound to go through the entire selection process unless rejected midway by the company. Any student who withdraws deliberately in the midst of a selection process will be considered as a case of absenteeism (see below).
- Late comers for PPT/Test/ GD/ Interviews may be disallowed from appearing for the selection process unless previously intimated to OCCaP via email. Non-intimation will count as absenteeism (see below).
- Absenteeism: A student not attending the PPT, Test, Interview, GD and any other criterion required by a company after registering and without prior intimation(at least 24 hrs prior to the placement process via email) will be deemed as absent. Absenteeism anytime will lead to suspension of student account on OCCaP placement portal. The decision of revocation of student account will rest solely with OCCaP.
- Students should maintain discipline and decorum in every action they take during the placement process. Any student found violating any rules of general ethics and etiquette as deemed by the company or OCCaP, or defaming the Institute will be debarred from the placement process for the entire placement season..
- Students found cheating or misbehaving during the selection process (PPT/Test/GD/Interview) will be debarred from the placement process. Any kind of misbehavior by the student will lead to debarment of the student from any further placement activity.
- During online test, students should ensure that email or any other communication client (other than the one prescribed by the recruiter) is not active in their laptop during the test. At the end of the test all students must file a test report using the link provided at the OCCaP website to record their attendance, time of leaving, and system information.
- Mobile phones are not allowed inside halls during the online/written test.
- Students are expected to follow the dress code stipulated by OCCaP. Students must be formally dressed whenever they participate in any sort of interaction with a company. Formal clothes for men include formal shirt and trousers, and leather shoes. Formal clothes for women include either a pair of Salwar-Kameez (no binge) or formal shirt and trousers. Ties and other formal accessories are optional. Accessories deemed unsuitable by OCCaP, such as sunglasses, are strictly prohibited. OCCaP reserves the right to restrict or prohibit the use of any accessory that it finds improper. Students, both women and men, are advised to have a business suit available in case a company stipulates that students attend the process suited up. Women are advised to have a saree available as well. Tee shirts, jeans, casual shirts, caps and other informal wear are strictly prohibited. Students found violating the dress code will be disallowed from attending the process and treated as absent, as regulated by the rule above.
- Students must carry their Institute Identity cards at all times during the placement process. Impersonation will lead to debarment from placement, and further action may be pursued at the Institute level.
- Announcement on the notice board or email from OCCaP or company will be considered as a firm offer. Offers received from companies must be collected within the deadlines. The responsibility of going through the offer letter and taking actions therein such as submission of documents lies entirely with the student. In case offers are received directly by the student from the company, the same must be intimated to the OCCaP Committee.
- Students who have received one or more offers will be de-registered from the placement process.
- Students receiving more than one offer will have to inform via email by 6.00 a.m of the following day the offer that they wish to accept. Failure to notify by the deadline will result in the offers being withdrawn and offered to the next candidate on the waitlist.
- OCCaP assumes that all selected student will pass the medical test. If there is a rejection at this stage, the student’s registration will be renewed and the student becomes eligible again to seek placement through this office in the same placement session. The student cannot re-register in a later year.
- In case the student decides not to join the company, they should inform the company in writing with reasons at least two months before the date of joining, or 31st Day of May of any given year, whichever is earlier. They are also required to submit a copy of that letter to OCCaP .
The maximum duration of these visits will be limited to three months. Extended internships (beyond three months) are allowed only in cases where explicit Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) exists between the organization and the Institute to facilitate such visit. In such cases, the total duration that a student is away from campus will be governed by such MoUs.
- UG students will be allowed to take up internships only during the summer terms.
- M.Tech/ M.Des/ M. Mgmt may use only the summer months (May-July) between their first and second years for internships. Research students will be eligible to take up internship positions any time of the year, after they complete the RTP requirements.
- In all cases, a visit of only up to three months will be allowed. Only PhD students may be allowed to take up internships for a second term of three months.
- Companies will be allowed to visit campus to interact with candidates during the January/ February.
- Student may participate in the process and receive multiple offers, but must inform if (s)he is interested to pursue one, to the company and OCCaP by will have to inform via email by 6.00 a.m of the following day the offer that they wish to accept.
INSTITUTE/ MHRD STIPEND or FELLOWSHIPS
The duration of internship will be considered as a leave of absence, and the student will not be paid any stipend/ fellowship from the Institute during this period. Further, stipend will not be extended beyond the period the student is normally eligible. Students taking up internships in Government organizations that do not offer any form of remuneration may request for a special permission to receive the Institute stipend on completion of the visit.
- Students participating at OCCaP events to facilitate Industry internships need to get an approval from the supervisor/chairman that (s)he will be allowed to take up an internship if offered during a specified window.
- Students proceeding on internships are expected to appropriately honor intellectual properties (IP) owned by the host organization as well as Indian Institute of Science and prevent IP pilferage in either direction.The student must get permission from the Deans before proceeding on Internships. The request letter must contain the details of the offer, and must be forwarded by the guide/supervisor and the chairman of the department
- The student proceeding on internship may be allowed to retain his/her room in the Institute hostels, if already provided.
- Student proceeding on internships are expected to have attended training and orientation programs organized by OCCaP.
- On completion of the visit, students are required to submit a formal report electronically on their internship work, through their industry and Institute advisors to OCCaP.
- Students must inform the OCCaP regarding any pre-placement offers made as soon as such an offer is made. Decision on acceptance of such an offer must be made before the September 05, 2018, or the company deadline whichever is earlier.